Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Star Trek

Welcome to another episode of The "D" List.

Today's review is Star Trek. Written by Alex Kurtzman & Robert Orci and Directed by J.J. Abrams.

Before I begin this. I would like to dedicate this review to my father Fernando Rodriguez. He passed away in 2004. He was a BIG TREKKIE and I'm sure this re-imagination of the TV show he loved so much would have met his approval.

This one's for you pop. I miss you.

On to the business at hand. I myself was never a big Star Trek fan. I casually watched the show and the movies that followed. Having said that going into this much anticipated retelling of the sci fi classic I only had 1 expectation and I can sum it up in 2 words. J.J Abrams. All I can say is not only did he meet my expectations he OBLITERATED them.

For those of you not aware of who J.J. Abrams is. And shame on you if you don't. He is the mastermind of some of TV's most entertaining shows. Felicity, Alias, Fringe and of course a little show called Lost. He also breathed new life into the Mission Impossible franchise with a very smart and fast third sequel that I liked very much. He has had his hand in several other projects including Cloverfield. The very clever Godzilla meets Blair Witch Project film that did very well at the B.O.

The point of this little bio is to make clear to all of you that J.J Abrams is one of the most talented men in show business today. He knows how to entertain and more importantly he knows HOW TO TELL A STORY! Are you paying attention Hollywood? If you're not then do yourself and everyone else a favor and START!

For the past decade or so the Star Trek franchise has become a joke in the film world and it was time for the starship enterprise to set a new course. Like the pun huh? I knew you would. Anyway that's exactly what Abrams and his writing team of Kurtzman and Orci accomplished. I will not divulge any of the plot because this film like I have said before in several of my past reviews needs to be experienced rather than explained.

I will only say it involves 2 things. Spock and time travel. The rest is for you to enjoy.

What I can say about Star Trek is that it's a fast, in your face adrenaline rush that blows you out of your seat from the credits to the last frame. The cast is phenomenal highlighted by Zachary Quinto as everybody's favorite vulcan. He truly looks like Spock and has his deadpan logic based demeanor down to a "science." The rest of the cast is equally impressive and worthy of taking over the roles of their predecessor's. I'm sure Shatner (Kirk) Walter Koenig (Checkov) James Doohan (Scotty) Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) DeForest Kelley (Bones McCoy) and George Takei (Sulu) are all proud of the performances of the new blood.

On a slightly off the beaten path note I would like to offer an apology to Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci. There are a few of you who know where I'm going with this. Allow me to explain.

Last year's Transformers was one of the summer's biggest disappointments for me. Mostly because of the campy-ness of the script. The movie started out on a real strong note and had a serious tone to it. Then it got silly for the sake of silliness. After the movie was over I stayed to watch the credits and the writers of the film were Kurtzman and Orci. After that I made it my personal mission to never watch anything they wrote.

After seeing Star Trek I am now convinced without a shadow of a doubt that the debacle that was the Transformers script was not entirely on them. I place a lot of the blame on Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael "Blow Up Everything In Sight" Bay. Kurtzman and Orci can write. The evidence is clear. From Mission Impossible III to Star Trek to Fringe. They along with Abrams are the driving force behind one of TV's best new shows.

So Alex and Robert. I humbly apologize. You guys are kick ass. Keep up the good work.

I really hope that Star Trek shows Hollywood that Abrams KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING! There was a rumor that he was set to direct the newest Superman but his script was tossed out because The Man of Steel dies in the 1st 10-15 pages. Instead we were forced to suffer through Bryan Singer's 2 1/2 hour snooze-fest otherwise known as Superman Returns or what I like to call Superman Returns to Stalk Lois Lane and Brood.

Anyway I'm way off point. Sorry about that.

On the 5 star scale. Star Trek gets the full house. 5 stars and a resounding "Worth Every Penny" recommendation.

This movie is worth your time and you money wether your a trekkie or not.

That's all for today.

My next review will be Obsessed. A.K.A Fatal Attraction without the Fatal or the Attraction.

Until Next Episode....I'll Save You A Seat!

"D"

No comments:

Post a Comment